Saturday, September 20, 2008

JarHead

That day passed without any significant activity. That was a Friday and people are expected to leave for the day very early, only to swipe their credit in the money thirsty malls in Bangalore. There was an apparent urge in the faces of people as they returned from the afternoon round of coffee-break.
"Hey dude! You didnt come for the coffee?".
"Ya! I know" I replied.

I saw the monitor. It stared back at me in return. It was when the telephone tringed. It was a long trrrrrring. Must be a call from the customer... May be he will be asking some questions which will be a fodder for my technical hunger.. May be he is appreciating the piece of code written by me some six months back (my last attempt of glory).. I picked up the call..

"Hello Sir, Am I speaking to Mr.@@@@..? This is Reena calling on behalf of XYZ bank..Would you like to..?"

"I would like to ask you one thing ..How much are you paid Ms.Reena..?"

It was not new for me. I had seen periods of no-work. But this time it was for a longer period of time. It began with a recession in US. It still has its roots on the declaration of war on Iraq by Mr.Bush. Its root is on what is called as sep.11. It again has its roots on guys like Osama and so on.

Seems strange. But this is how I analyse things nowadays. I am not here to do this 'news-channel' style analysis. But reality is this. I go home from office at 6PM everyday and I am forced to watch news channels as I totally disagree with the shows which claim to hunt for talent.

I went for an Onsite. It was last year when I was sent to the city of angels. Well..thats when I saw the faces of people whom I yearn to converse with. They hold a doctorate in their area of interest and still keep their head cool and straight. My 'knowledge' is like a David infront of their Goliathness. Well.. David slays Goliath only in the books.

I never complain for the sorry state of being software engineer. But just give me some work which will help me to prove my mettle.

These are extract from the diary of my friend who used to work in a leading software firm in Bangalore. He had quit his job recently to start a business. He recently shared on how his knowledge on 'Supply-Chain management' helps in his idly-dosa business.

2 comments:

Deepak said...

you have a cool blog too!
thanks for your comments on my blog....
I will try to depict few scenes and write a poem soon...

Confused Martian said...

I write this comment, hoping to cover the entirety of your blog. I must say that I am duly and thoroughly impressed and excited by your writing. You have a way of telling stories and I am sorry I hadn't found this out sooner. The contexts and the inherent frustration are the juices squeezed out of this creative fruit in danger of picketing by the 'culture mongers' of today. You seem to be on a roll and thought I would add to the momentum. We should meet some day. Give me a call. Joos