Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere

Being footloose has always fascinated me. The most Primeval instinct of mankind is to migrate from one place to another. I should be quite modest in confessing that my lust towards travelling is neither Atavistic nor some divine fate playing its cards on me. I simply pack my backpack, book the tickets, make arrangements for accommodation and just hit the road. This principle has worked wonders right from Barcelona to Varanasi, from jumbled streets of Old Delhi to Cobble-stoned pavements of Vieux Lyon.

While on travel, I tend to put those worldly emotions behind and crave for moments. The moments which gets into your memory as an indelible tattoo. The women selling Baguette in a marketplace in Straussbourg, The Brandenburger Tor in Berlin, The carnival in Cologne, The Taj mahal in moonlight, The Amber fort in Jaipur during sunset, the bicycle ride through nature-parks. Time defies its physical property and comes to standstill in those moments. It is worth trying twice. To paraphrase Christopher McCandless - "Life is all about meeting new people and having new experiences."

I feel at home when I am on the move. The constantly changing horizon, The used flight-tickets in my wallet, Restaurant bills, Visiting card of somebody whom you can't recollect.. these are my souvenirs of travel. The Window seat in the train and the sight of a display boards in new different languages..
these are my feel-good factors. Travel is a default expression of freedom. I reflect on myself better when I am on the go.
I tend to read about the culture and history of the place before I travel, so that once I set my foot on the destination I figure myself as someone getting there after a long break. I use 'Ick' instead of 'Ich' (German for 'I') when I go to Berlin. I greet an elderly man near Turkman gate in Shahjahanbad-Old Delhi with 'Assalamu Alaykum'. I feel the Catalonian pride in Barcelona and support VfB-Stuttgart in football.
I prefer local food rather than McDonalds, and I prefer 'talking to a stranger' over 'i-pod'.
It is just fascinating to see how civilizations in differ in certain things, and is exactly similar in certain other things.

No comments: